Thursday, September 29, 2011

Camping or make believe

As I type, my littlies are camping in the lounge in the tents we made from their blankets. It started out, as these things often do, with Master Four wanting to go play outside. Small problem - it's raining. And windy. And freezing (ok, not literally but it's cold). He's not fussed, dressed as he is in shorts and t-shirt... pretty much standard dress for kid who doesn't feel the cold at all.

I negotiated them to camping inside and it's keeping him happy... for now.

Of course, the bonus of inside camping in the lounge in the middle of the day is what you can take with you. Seems pretty much anything goes. Lego is a necessity. Cuddlies. Cars. Books. Everything they might need. And if they change their minds, they run to their room and grab something else.

In other words a whole heap of stuff they couldn't have on hand if they were really in the middle of nowhere.

It's one of the great things, really, about any kind of make believe. Stories, songs, pictures.... you can put in what you want from everything you have in your mind. But like anything else, there are rules. A minute ago Princess nearly-3 tried to bring in a second pram for her doll. Master 4 declared that it wouldn't ever fit in a real tent.

He had a point. There wasn't really room. But at the same time he fit a whole box of lego in. After some crying she had to choose to live by his make believe rules or her own.

Something I decide when writing every day.

What about you? Played camping recently? Do you write/read by other's rules? Wanna bet what the Princess decided?
=)

1 comment:

  1. Well, I let rules - or at least too much craft - get in the way of my writing. I think I need to leave those rules outside the tent. I'm going with your Princess and make up my own. ;-)

    ReplyDelete